Re: Audi A4 Questions

To: hrspear@coastalnet.com, randyc2@home.com, AUTOX@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Audi A4 Questions
From: "Joe Goeke" <joe_goeke@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 18:11:45 PST
>>1. I am not sure it matters, but is the general consensus that the
>>2.8l A4 can still be competitive in GS with those Talons/Type Rs?

I hope so.  We'll find out at the San Diego NT ;-).  My gut tells me the
2.8 A4 will be competitive, but not a class winning car when up against
an equally driven Type R or Talon AWD.  The numbers are against it.

>I've got a 1.8T that I'll be autocrossing next week for the first
>time, I'll be posting my thoughts soon after.

I think the 1.8T gives up to much torque and HP to even be in the game.
Jack Burns did a great job snatching a trophie a nats last year in a
1.8T.  I've heard he's in a 2.8 now.

>>2. Was there a model change that had any signifigance beyond the
>>1998 model?  I heard something about a 1999 1/2 model. Is that
>>true? If so, what is the changes?
>Check out the website...changes are things like dash layout,
>aluminum door sils, clear side markers, projector headlamps, etc.

The only real news is the new S4, which is a twin turbo A4.  Based on
the numbers I've seen, my thought is it will be a A Stock car.

>>4. I see the car is available with tiptronic tranny now? Good idea
>>or bad idea for autocross?
>As opposed to manual, I'd go with the manual.  BUT since it IS a
>second car, and IS the V6...the tiptronic should be allright.  By
>the way, with the sport package, awesome value, you get a 3 spoke
>sport steering wheel with the tiptronic shift controls on the
>wheel...no reaching for the shifter.

Tiptronic has been available since 97 I think.  It's not available on
the wheel like the Porsches.  Don't get one, the cars a full second
slower to 60.  I drove one at the race track and there ok, but you'll
give up to much performance and control.

>>5. I know that the right car for autocross is probably the 2.8l
>>sport model with quattro AWD and obviously the heated seats...since
>>the fast cars have them. Anything else I should know about?

2.8 manual with sports suspension is the important stuff.  The rest is
just fluff, except for the heated seats that is ;-).  BTW, heated seats
are now available through Huck & CHuck enterprises.  Unreal performance
;-).

>Actually, if you're comfortable putting an aftermarket chip in then
>the 1.8T might be the better choice.  Lighter, better weight
>distribution, chip and filter $150-$600 for 188hp to 205hp.  Which
>is what Audi has the same engine putting out in the TT.  On the
>other hand the 2.8 is more luxurious and you do have the MR2 to
>really drive hard.

This would clearly be illegal for Stock, and put you into Mod.  Don't
know for Stree touring classes, but that would be an option if boost
chips are allowed there.

Other notes:  We have the ajustable Koni's in the car and a K&N air
filter.  Still have the stock exhaust for all the tuners and people I've
talked to about it, say there isn't much if any gain with just changing
the muffler on the 2.8, and the stuff out there is expensive.  I'd
expect an improvment in a straight pipe off the 1.8T cat.

Looking forward to San Diego!
---JCG
Team Butt Heat
GS Audi A4 Quattro