Re: Oil brand & weight for occasional autoxing?

To: cjthedad@essex1.com, hrspear@coastalnet.com
Subject: Re: Oil brand & weight for occasional autoxing?
From: Joehgn@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 10:59:45 EST
cjthedad@essex1.com writes:

<<  He talked
 to a bunch of his engine people that said ( synthetic in newer motors with
 overhead cams, regular oil in push rod motors) he switched and has  had no
 problems since. I personaly run Valvoline 10W40 in spring and fall and
 20W50 when it gets hot >>

Just an aside here...I run synthetic in newer engines, grade as specified by
manufacturer, and am very pleased with the results. However, older engines
regardless of design have always leaked badly with synthetic oils [any brand].
A 1986 Saab, 1988 Ford Tarus both leaked badly until switching back to
DinoJuice. This apparently has something to do with the old gasket material.
Age or composition of material, I am not sure. The 1998 Civic is very happy
with Syn Oil.

BTW Mobil removed their aviation brand of synthetic oil from the market
because of sludge build-up. It cost me a top over haul on a 182 Cessna.
Unfortunately my circumstance did not allow for reimbursement by Mobil.
Soooo... modern technology sometimes can hurt you.

Consequently, oil changes with filter are every 3000 to 5000, depending on
usage, no matter what the oil. DinoJuice for the old cars.

My $0.02.

Joe Hogan