Oil brand & weight for occasional autoxing?

To: "Autocross Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil brand & weight for occasional autoxing?
From: "H. Rodney Spear" <hrspear@coastalnet.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 99 12:28:29 -0500
I've got a new Audi 4 cylinder turbo (the turbo is oil cooled) with 4,600
miles on it.  I live in eastern NC (relatively mild year round).  I plan
on running several autocrosses/schools each year.  What oil and weight
would you recomend.  I was planning on Mobil 1 15W50, but am now
considering Redline as well.  Redline recommends 10W30 or 10W40 for
street and occasional track use.  They discourage use of their 15W50 or
20W50 in cars whose oil temps are regularly below 225 F.  I have yet to
see my oil temp guage over 200 F.  Also, should I go with a synthetic oil
filter?  TIA.

Regards,
Rodney