Re: 99 Miata Wheels

To: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 99 Miata Wheels
From: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 07:26:55 -0800
At 05:44 AM 3/2/99 -0800, Craig Blome wrote:
>dredging up an old thread from the muck of team.net...
>
>> Except that the BBS wheels have a 45mm offset while the '99 alloys
>have a
>> 40mm offset, so if you're using them on a '99 you're hurting
>yourself on
>> track.
>
>I saw a page somewhere that listed the '99 offset as 40mm with the
>15x6 wheel and 45mm with the 14x6.  Can someone confirm this?  I
>wonder if they changed the scrub radius of the front suspension at all
>(it's supposed to be approximately zero on a stock M1).  I tried 1/4"
>wheel spacers on the street recently (thanks Ken Baker!) and they
>handle fine, but they sure don't leave many lug threads to clamp the
>wheel.  I suppose I'll look at some engineering handbooks to figure
>out how many threads I really need...and maybe keep my eyes open for a
>set of '99 rims.

The 14x6" and 15x6" '99 Miata alloys have a 40mm offset, the 14x5.5" steel
wheels have a 45mm offset, that's probably where you got the 45mm figure.
However the 14" '99 wheels appear to be a couple of pounds heavier than the
'94-'97 wheels from what I have heard (it would be nice to know for sure)
and IMHO I'd rather have less weight than 5mm more offset.

- Alan Dahl
  ___   ____     Alan Dahl                  | home: adahl@eskimo.com
 /_ /   /  /     Federal Way, WA, USA       | work: Alan.Dahl@PSS.boeing.com