AP Fiero vs. Lotus

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: AP Fiero vs. Lotus
From: Gemery@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 20:26:05 EST
Reality Check (tm):

AP 4-cyl Fiero
  2.5 liters
  48mm DCOE x2 (unlimited venturi)
  1900 lbs
  10" wide rims

AP Lotus Elan
  1.6 liters
  40mm DCOE x2 (32mm venturi)
  1470 lbs
  7" wide rims

Looks like adequate carburetion for autox and they are both allowed
unlimited compression, so I think it's safe to assume 100 HP/Liter
which gives Fiero=7.6 lbs/HP and Elan=9.1 lbs/HP.  Even if an autox
Elan can make 180 HP, Elan=8.2 lbs/HP.  Okay, what if the Fiero is only making
90 HP/Liter... Fiero=8.4 lbs/HP.  Therefore I don't buy a
power-to-weight argument.

They can both have the same maximum track (64" F/R), yet the Fiero
is allowed 3" more rim for it's 430 extra lbs.  Don't think I see much
wrong here, either.

Gear ratio isn't a problem in Prepared... any final drive is allowed.
Hell, any gearbox is allowed!

Overall, describing the 4-cyl Fiero as being uncompetitive in AP
smells like a sour grapes argument.

George Emery
gemery@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/gemery/scorpion.html