Re: Schroth belts

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Schroth belts
From: bvw@vicon.net
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 11:00:39 -0800
At 09:11 AM 2/3/99 -0600, you wrote:

>While we're on the topic of harnesses in Stock class, is anyone using a
>Schroth Rallye 4?

        I have used schroth rallye 4's in both my former GTI and my current GTI.
 I left the original Stock belts in my old GTI, in case I needed to carry
passengers in the rear. (Which requires disconnecting the schroths in most
cases).  However I ended up using them all of the time, they are just one
click to buckle up, and keep your face away from the steering wheel and
windshield in any accident.  I don't have an airbag (don't want one) and
they offer IMHO better protection.  When I assembled my current GTI, I
removed all stock front seat belts and use the Schroths exclusively.  I
Plan on installing them in all street cars from now on.  Many of my friends
have installed them as well.  The Schroth rally 3's are another option, and
can actually be used with passengers in the back (depending upon mounting
point).  I will be putting them in the family hauler when it arrives.  Hope
this helps.

        Brian

86 VW 16V GTI EP  Schroth Rally 4's
88 VW 16V GTI EP  Simpson 5 points

>Though a bit pricey, this looks like a good solution for me, since it
>beats the stock lap/shoulder belt and does not require any new holes or a
>roll bar.  My question is whether I can retain the stock driver's belt
>with the Schroth harness in place.  I don't want to have to wear a 4-point
>while street driving, and I'd rather not swap out belts for racing.
>
>Dale
>Dale Botkin, MCP
>'98 Mustang coupe, GS
>Whoomah!