Re: 99 Miata Wheels

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 99 Miata Wheels
From: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 17:54:23 -0800
At 05:51 AM 2/2/99 -0800, you wrote:
>> Miata.net/classifieds (There you'll find num-brained '99 Miata
>> owners that
>> are replacing their stock 15's with 16, 17 or 18 inch wheels and
>> want to dump the stockers.)
>
>The factory 15" are generally much heavier than the 14" rims.  The
>exception seems to be the 11.5# forged BBS rims from the '95
>M-edition, though they are quite rare (there seems to be a set for
>sale on the miata.net classifieds at the moment though).

Except that the BBS wheels have a 45mm offset while the '99 alloys have a
40mm offset, so if you're using them on a '99 you're hurting yourself on
track. I checked everywhere for lightweight 15x6" wheels with the right
offset and could not find anything under $300 a wheel unfortunately. Since
at 13 lbs each the OEM '99 wheels are not that bad I will stick with them
and put the $1200 to better uses.

- Alan