autox-cm

Re: Member input requested

To: autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Member input requested
From: Steve <huronmountain@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 08:46:05 -0800 (PST)
--- Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Thanks for the heads up.

I figured everyone would have some interest in that
one.  I noticed it when I looked at the new Fastrack
and I know how topics in there can get missed by a lot
of people.

> Plus, the wider wheels really add complexity to the
> "equalizing" effort.
> (Make them run 5.5 inch wheels and I might change my
> mind:-)

As you noted here and Mark noted in his post they run
wider wheels.  13x6 in front and 13x8 in the rear,
which is the same as the S2000.  They also share the
same engine rules as an S2000.

> How much more power and torque with what shape
> curves does the 2000 have
> compared to the 1600?

I looked into this some last year, I believe the
engine makes almost 50% more horsepower and torque
than our engines.  I have never compared dyno sheets
but I would bet that there is considerably more of
that torque down low compared to our engines.

> One of the great things about CM is that people
> looking at the class know
> that just about any 80's vintage 1600 cc formula
> ford can win. Why add
> complexity?

I am still probably about the newest person to the
class, but I agree.  I think CM is very healthy and
would remain so if it were only FF1600 cars.  In my
opinion I would not like to see FF2000 cars allowed in
and I also don't think the S2000 really fits.  It
would seem to me that the FF2000 (and the S2000) would
have an advantage despite the extra weight that may be
course dependant, but why add something to an already
successful class that may turn out to be the car to
have at Nationals?  I would rather not see a proposal
like this go through because I think there is
potential to harm more people than it would help.  I
also think allowing the S2000 in was a mistake.  With
the larger engine, larger tires, and bodywork there
are too many variables that differ from a FF1600 to
try to equalize the two just by adding weight.  Just
my opinion of course, but to me it seems that the
S2000 may be the car to have even now and that we are
lucky that more haven't shown up.

Steve Elzinga
#55 CM