autox-cm

Re: Belated SD National Tour report

To: Stuart Lumpkin <stuartcmod@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Belated SD National Tour report
From: Tom Tweed <ttweed@san.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 13:40:58 -0800
Thanks for the advice, Stuart and Charlie.  That is exactly what some of
the local Mod drivers told me, too.  I tried to do it on Sunday, but it was
still tough to see the course the way it is going to appear in the
car.  With 316 entrants all walking it during the same 1/2 hour breaks, it
was hard to even get an unobstructed view at my usual 6' eye-level!  I
tried to wait for clumps of people to get past and then crouch down and
visualize how it would be at 60mph with my butt 2" off the asphalt.  It was
tough to do.  Part of the skills package, though, I guess.  I thought about
bringing my old skateboard and sitting on it- that would be about the right
height.

I think I have been spoiled by running PCA events for the last 5 years- we
often get to practice the course for 8-10 runs before we have the three
timed runs in the afternoon, so course-reading and memorization is a much
less necessary skill.  Of course, we have only 120-140 entrants, so we can
afford to give everyone more seat time.  We also build courses with cones
so thick they make unmistakeable corridors that are much easier to read at
speed.  Slaloms are often undifferentiated as to direction- you can take
the first cone on either side, if you think it will work better, as long as
you leave the next one on the opposite side.  It's quite a different setup
than the SCCA procedures.  Even the local SCCA events have a different look
than the Nationals.

Oh well, it's all good and I have a lot to learn.

TT