Re: One hundred and one tarnations

To: Andy Whiteford <A.G.Whiteford@gcal.ac.uk>, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: One hundred and one tarnations
From: "jarrid_gross@earthlink.net" <jarrid_gross@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 07:59:48 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
>Rebuilt engine turning over nicely on starter.
>Sump full of oil. (o.d. gearbox full too)
>No spark plugs, so no compression.
>
>I checked the spring loaded valve in the timing chain feed on assembly.
>I checked the spring loaded valve in the oil filter mount on assembly.
>

>problem: Oil pressure gauge shows no pressure when rotating with starter
>motor....
>
>Can I prime oil pump ? Prime oil gauge line ??
>Gauge shows movement under pressure with air line / bicycle pump.
>Block-to-gauge line is oil-tight and I checked I could blow air through it
>easily before fitting.

Andy,

It can take a very long time to get the engine primed, if you have the stock
oil cooler, that is a large volume that has to be filled before you get
pressure.

If you fill the cooler and its hoses before hand ( I often remove the oil
cooler for startup ), and remove the oil filter so you can fill both passages
in the filter base with oil, things will go much faster.

HTH

Jarrid Gross