One hundred and one tarnations

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: One hundred and one tarnations
From: Andy Whiteford <A.G.Whiteford@gcal.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:47:38 +0100
A "few" questions for the good folk of the list.

I Thought I'd bomb then all together in one post, just for a laugh.

Probably best if you trim any replies !!!

Rebuilt engine turning over nicely on starter.
Sump full of oil. (o.d. gearbox full too)
No spark plugs, so no compression.

I checked the spring loaded valve in the timing chain feed on assembly.
I checked the spring loaded valve in the oil filter mount on assembly.

problem: Oil pressure gauge shows no pressure when rotating with starter
motor....

Can I prime oil pump ? Prime oil gauge line ??
Gauge shows movement under pressure with air line / bicycle pump.
Block-to-gauge line is oil-tight and I checked I could blow air through it
easily before fitting.

I bought some UNF thread-taps to try to clean up the threads on the block
for the water pump mounting bolts. But I cannot get UNF nuts to thread onto
the taps, so I'm loth to ruin the threads on my block if these taps are the
wrong TPI specification or otherwise incorrect.

What's the correct thread specs for the water-pump to block mounting bolts??
UNF ?  UNC ?  BSP ? BSF???  Turns-per-inch ??  Diameters ??

(one's a larger diameter than the others, since it's a 1725 block.
I'll have to drill my pump to take the broader bolt.)

What's the thread size/pitch specification for wheel nuts?
Same as UK fords of 1960s /'70s ??
UNF ?  UNC ?   Diameters ?

I've got a nice set of Wolfrace alloys, but I've got no nuts...
Ouch!  ;-)

Where is engine earthing strap fitted to body???
I can't find a suitable threaded hole !
I've got a separate *gearbox* earthing strap already fitted
to a nut on the gearbox cross-member.
(I guess it's taking all the starter motor current just now.)

SV axle identification.
I'm trying to identify my only good axle.
How do I tell a series 5 axle from earlier (3 /4 ) axles by inspection?

The series 5 Alpine takes the same combined Bearing/oil-seal as the later
Hunter & Arrow range- true or false ??

Exhaust Manifold gaskets.

Should I use two-layer gaskets- one compound gasket and a stainless steel
"rider" gasket on top.?

Or just one layer?

[manifold probably for  twin zenith WIA from an early ser3, I might possibly
try twin Strombergs later.]

Bumper overriders. Setting aside the later ser 4&5 black-rubber-fronted
over-rider, are their two different styles of early-series all-chrome
over-rider ??
(one with a more pronounced "lump" on top??)

Can someone give me the lowdown on fine-splined and coarse splined
Overdrive output shafts , by year / series.
( I think I've got a overdrive/ propshaft spline mismatch
- gearbox needs removed ??!! )

Ok enough, already (for now)

Thanks in advance for any replies. Sorry it's so long.

-Andy-

Glasgow

1963 Ser III GT
1966 1725cc Singer Vogue engine block & head