Re: Am I still here?

To: alpines@autox.team.net (Alpines)
Subject: Re: Am I still here?
From: Jerome Yuzyk <jerome@supernet.ab.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:14:01 -0600
On Wednesday 29 October 2003 08:27 am, T.J. Higgins wrote:
> > Chuck,
> > I'm here but I am wondering if I missed the call to dinner.   Is autox
> > over? Rob
> >
> > Jan writes:
> > Everyone is on the SAOCA forum
> > http://www.saoca.org/sforum/index.php
>
> Autox is not over; mjb still does tons of work to keep it going.
> However, more and more, email groups seem to be migrating to
> web-based forums.  There are exceptions, though.  The Jensen web forum
> is shutting down for lack of use; the Jensen people prefer the email
> group.
>
> Me, I'm lazy.  I'd rather the email come to me than me have to visit a
> bunch of different web sites.  Long live autox!

I think the big reason for the movement to web-based forums is the
perversion by spammers of the mechanism that made e-mail lists useful. The
web-based forums provide email-address anonymity, and don't require people
pay attention to the stream of garbage that seems to make up the bulk of
e-mail traffic these days.

Also, as Alpine owners get more computer-savvy, they create things like the
SAOCA forums that can reach a wider audience and move away from the older
methods that are now being trashed by abuse.

I much prefer the list too, but I also don't have to weed it out of 100+
pieces of junkmail a day like many other people seem to. Web-based forums
also seem to appeal more to the channel-changer TV mindset - it takes less
work to push buttons and read (graze?) a stream of messages in a forum
than it does to set up and live with and use e-mail well.

--

=              J e r o m e   Y u z y k | jerome@supernet.ab.ca
=    Sunbeam Alpine Series II #9118636 | www.bss.ab.ca/sunbeam