Re: camshafts

To: sunbeammadd@yahoo.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: camshafts
From: LOsoccer@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:35:06 EDT
I gave my engine guy  the spec out of the alpine race tuning manual.

Intake 19 degrees BTDC 60 degrees ABDC
Exhaust 54 degrees BTDC 25 degrees ATDC

with the option to 25-59 degrees on intake and 63-21 on exhaust

Using a stock cam he ground to:

intake 20-61                            stock 14-52
exhaust 60-24                          stock 56-10

It seems to be a good grind that produces great response going forward.
(Chuck knows about my one directional car.) It requires a good choke to get it
started, but after it warms up its very responsive.  It also sounds pretty
neat.
It also back fires a little more than tamer grinds.  Would I do it again,
absolutely!!!!

Other mods.  Knifed crank, lighten rods, lightened flywheel to 17#, Lighten
pistons, deck block, shave head, bore 40 over, ported and polished manifold and
head.  It made me happy. If I could get the body as finished as the engine it
would be a great little runner. (oh the tranny is coming out again)

David
63 SIII alpine with ser V motor