Re: Starting / Grounding problems

To: "jumpinjan" <jservaites@woh.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: Starting / Grounding problems
From: "Paul Tring" <paultring@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 20:50:07 +0100
The easiest way to remove the ring gear is to hacksaw through as far as
possible and (without touching the flywheel) and split the remaining metal
with a chisel, one sharp tap usually does it, this is the way most mechanics
in the UK would have removed them.
As far as heating the new ring gear, we always used to bring it up to
temperature by placing it on bricks and continuosly circling an oxy
acetyline torch around the gear until the metal took on the correct colour ,
unfortunately it is easy to exceed the correct temperature unless you have
previous experience.
However I no longer have access to oxy acetyline equipment so when I needed
to change the ring gear on my Alpine I waited till my wife (bless her) went
out and popped the gear into a VERY hot oven, the flywheel went into the
freezer and half an hour later the gear slipped straight on.

Paul