Re: [: Re: Alpine / MGB ?]

To: <ellis838@concentric.net>, <alpines@autox.team.net>, <hillman@can-inc.com>
Subject: Re: [: Re: Alpine / MGB ?]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 13:55:11 -0500
"Better" is a very broad word.  If "better" means you sell more of them, then
an MGB is better then an Alpine, it is also probably better then an Aston
Martin (they only made a few hundred of those)by that description.

"Faster"???  Heck almost ANY US made 4 door sedan of the era (definitely those
with V-8's) was faster the either the MGB or Alpine.

Now if we are talking better made.....well there were few cars on the road
with an engine the equal to a Rootes 1390-1725 engine as far as being well
made is concerned.

Sooooo, the question needs some clarification.

Jan Eyerman

ellis838@concentric.net wrote:
Russ Eshelman wrote:

>An article that appeared in the January issue of Thoroughbred & Classic
>Cars,  "your questions" section by Phil Bell.
>
>  Please could you answer me this age old question ( I've never seen a
>satisfactory answer ): which is best, MGB or Sunbeam Alpine?
>  John Prior, Chichester
>
>Easy:  the MGB was dynamically better than the Alpine in its day and now
>makes a better classic because all of the parts are so easy to get hold of.
>The Alpine's rather more unusual though.

 I know Russ got this from a magazine and all but it has to be a made up
question,
Mr. Bell must have been a few words short for his column. I put to you there
is no
such person as John Prior or if there is he sent the question in as a goof.
Can
you imagine anyone who has been around Sunbeam and MG people asking this? I
can
see it now at the local car club meeting " Well John that is a good question,
but
I just can not say which is better" Says the MGB owner. "Yea both are nice
cars
but I really would be hard pressed to say which is better" piped in
the Alpine driver. Professional writers are notorious fibbers almost as bad as

fisher men..... he made it up.