Re: Fill 'er up!

To: jservaites@woh.rr.com, blaucher@houston.rr.com
Subject: Re: Fill 'er up!
From: RootesRooter@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 22:12:17 EDT
jservaites@woh.rr.com writes:

> Bill Laucher wrote:
>  >
>  > Someone told me a while back that I should add a lead substitute to
today'
>  > unleaded gas to preserve the valves and head that were made for use with
>  > leaded gas.  At the corner auto parts store, I find only octane boosters.
>  > Do I need this or a true lead substitute?  Or are they the same thing?
Or
>  > just use premium gas?  Am I just avoiding ping, or is there more to it?
>  >
>  > Bill Laucher
>  > Series V heart in a Series IV body
>  > SAOCA Charter Member #0042
>  > Houston, Texas
>
>  Bill,
>   All Alpines have steel valve seats, so you don't need to worry about
>  lead additives. You won't hurt anything running unleaded gas.
>  Jan

A head shop mechanic here in Seattle who has worked on a lot of Alpine heads
said the original steel seats appear to be of "just average" quality. If
you're going to do a lot of high-rpm driving, newer, harder seats might be in
order.  Personally, I didn't notice any difference over about 50k miles after
the last of the lead was removed.

Dick Sanders