Re: Sandblasting

To: "Ron Tebo" <tebomr@cadvision.com>, "jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com>
Subject: Re: Sandblasting
From: "Bill Blue" <dablue@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:05:50 -0500
About the EPA nailing DIY sandblasters.  This would fall under the air
program, which is enforced by the individual states.  What you could get by
with would depend on your state, or perhaps city if the state had happened
to delegate that chore.  You as an individual can usually get by with a lot
more than a business.  For instance, here in Indiana, an individual can have
a trash fire (which smolders all day) but a business owner cannot have a
brisk wood fire to rid himself of some pallets.

Same goes for discharges to the sanitary sewer.  You can actually do some
chrome plating and legally dispose of the rinse water down the drain (you
won't be the most popular guy in town, but the regs only apply to industrial
users.)

Check with the local authorities (or state), you may be surprised what you
can do as a private citizen and not run afoul of the environmental regs.
Regardless, protect them there lungs and eyeballs!
Bill (Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator,Indiana Department of
Environmental Management)