Re: Gear Ratios

To: "Alpine List" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gear Ratios
From: "Greg Locke" <glocke@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:47:17 +1300
Hi all

Just to throw some more fuel into the ratio pot, I run a 3.89 and overdrive
in my 64 Humber sceptre which uses the 1592cc progressive solex alpine motor
and it is great for cruising, even on NZs attrocious roads. The sceptre is
200 lb heavier than an alpine as well. Fuel economy is better too, and there
would be no acceleration difference once under way as the lower gears would
be held for longer, thus negating the loss in acceleration when changing
into the higher gear. It is only standing start acceleration that would
suffer, and there may be a difference in acceleration near top speed,
depending on which setup gave the most ideal ratio at these speeds, but I
suspect a 3.89 with overdrive switched off may indeed give the highest top
speed.

How available are the 3.70 diffs? in the UK?, USA?There are none here in NZ
but am very interested in acquiring one for my race car (for which an
overdrive is too fragile).

Greg
Humber 90 race car
Commer Bluebird Highman