Re: ["Hillman - " Re: "Hillman - the question]

To: "jon" <humbersnipe@home.com>, <TOPDOGROVER@aol.com>, <hillman@can-inc.com>
Subject: Re: ["Hillman - " Re: "Hillman - the question]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 8 Dec 2001 16:18:34 EST
In 1967 the Hillman Hunter was introduced in the USA as the Sunbeam Arrow.  It
used an iron head 1725 engine instead of the Aluminum headed version.  It had
low back bucket seats and a horizontal speedometer with a plastic dashboard.
These cars are quite rare.

It appears that the 4 door sedan was dropped at the end of 1967 and for 1968
only a four door wagon (estate) was available.  It too used the 1725 iron
headed engine, plastic dash and horizontal speedometer.  Both the '67 and '68
models used the original Hillman Hunter grill.

In January of 1969 still a third variant of the Sunbeam Arrow was introduced.
This car was really based on the Singer Gazelle with a wood dash, round gauges
(esstentially the same gauges as used in the 1959-65 Series III through Series
V) and still used the iron headed 1725 engine.  These cars also had high
backed bucket seats and side marker reflectors.  The car was continued through
1970 (now with side marker LIGHTS and various emission controls).  Left over
1969 models were sold at least through March 1970 (we bought one February 13,
1970) and we saw the '69 models displayed at the New York International Auto
Show in March of that year.

Finally, there was a 4th variant of the "Arrow" sold in Canada.  It used the
1725 enegine but was essentially a Hillman Minx with no side trim and
generally simplier internal trim.

However, there were never any "Hillman Hunters" of any sort sold in the USA.
The reason for this was the USA "safety" and emissions requirements-all cars
imported into the USA had to meet various requirements and these were not
easy.  So, unless the manufacturer went to the trouble and expense of doing so
(and this required crashing some cars for the government) the car could not be
imported.... even one car by an individual.

Jan Eyerman

"jon" <humbersnipe@home.com> wrote:
This message forwarded by the Hillman List.

Well, yes and no.  The only Arrow range saloons sold in the USA were
Sunbeams rather than  Hillmans. They didn't look far for the model name -
the Sunbeam Arrow! They are quite rare here. Any other models would be a
private import - for instance, there was an early 70's Humber Sceptre (sold
recently on Ebay) that was residing in California. Don't know it's
whereabouts now, though.

Rootes abandoned the Hillman name entirely in the mid 1960's in the US, so
all the "officially" imported Imps and Minxes after that are badged Sunbeam
here. Even my Commer Highwayman was badged as a Sunbeam Funwagon, using a
Stiletto bonnet badge on it's nose.

Jon Arzt
Omaha, NE  USA