Brakes binding and overheating

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Brakes binding and overheating
From: Al Adams <aradams@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 19:36:39 -0600
Hello everyone.

I'm having problems getting the brakes working properly on my Alpine S3
GT.   Basically, I've gone completely through the brake system and
haven't been able to isolate the problem.  After driving a couple of
miles the front brakes begin to overheat and bind and will actually slow
the car to a stop.  Eventually they will cool down enough to go another
mile or so before the problem reoccurs.

Things I've done so far include - new MC from Sunbeam Specialties, all
new brake lines and hoses, new pads, rebuilt both front calipers (and
removed/reinspected them to check for problems - none found), and turned
the rotors.  I've also rebuilt both rear wheel cylinders, replaced one
rear adjuster, new rear brake shoes, and steady springs.  I'm using
Lockheed Dot 4 brake fluid.   Red brake grease was applied to all parts
duing rebuilds.

Since both front wheels are getting hot enough to smoke, I'm thinking
it's a master cylinder problem - like it's putting too much pressure on
the front pads or it's not releasing properly when the brake pedal is
not being applied.  When the car is on stands, the front wheels don't
seem to rotate freely if you try to spin them by hand.  They will
rotate, but you can feel some drag.

I've also tried mounting the rear end of the MC push rod in both of the
holes on the brake pedal arm.  It didn't seem to make any difference.

The front hub bearings have been replaced and are torqued to the proper
setting.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Anything that I obviously
overlooked?  Any ideas or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Al Adams