re:Re: [Re: Question: head bolts]

To: jan.eyerman@usa.net
Subject: re:Re: [Re: Question: head bolts]
From: "Rick Harrison" <beamertwo@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 13:35:33 +1000
Jan,

I would think that it was a good thing that you had the deck planed too. In
his youth my father had a flathead Ford V8 with what were, I believe fairly
rare alloy heads. After doing some work on the engine he replaced the heads
without  checking the deck for flatness and then left the car overnight. The
next morning he went to start it up and there was a terrible bang from the
engine. He lifted the bonnet (hood) to discover he could examine the top of
a piston without removing the head. Apparently, the head in question had not
seated properly allowing water to fill the cylinder and the hydraulic
pressure punched a hole right through the head.... very nasty!

Rick Harrison