Re: a virus has been recieved

To: CANISDOG@aol.com
Subject: Re: a virus has been recieved
From: Jarrid Gross <jarrid_gross@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 18:48:29 -0700
Piners,

No, I think he is a member of our list,
and has been infected, and the virus is using his address book
to proliferate.

The sad thing is that somehow he got infected.

Tisk tisk.

Never blindly open attachments.
Know what the various file types are,
and thier ability to mess with your system.

Heres a short refresher of various file attachment
types, and you they can affect you.

.EXE, .COM
Executible files can harbor viruses, or can be designed for
damage.  Clicking on one of these gives almost full permision
to the file to do what it wishes.

.DLL, .OCX
Runtime libraries, when installed over legitimate ones, can harbor
routines that do more than they are supposed to.  Let only instalation
programs handle these files.

.BAT
Batch script file, can do damage using operating system
commands, not typically used, but should be mentioned.

.VBS
Visual basic script, they language of choice for virus perps
not smart enough to program in a real language.
VERY COMMON method of infection.

.DOC, .XLS, .anthything from microsloth office.
These files CAN contain VBA code, which microsloth
has given nearly full authority to system resources from within
thier office suite. Opening a .doc or .xls attachment from someone
else can infect you too.
VERY COMMON method of infection.

.JS
Java script, similar in function to .VBS.

.HTM, .HTML
Hypertext markup language, used to send you to a web page,
where thier server rapes your computer.  Dont even get me started
with cookies.  Its very common for send friends a link to some cool
web site, but if someone you DONT know sends you an email, with
text that means nothing to you, and has a link, you are asking for
trouble by clicking on it.
Also, when a spammer sends an email to you and it gives some BS
at the bottom that clicking "here" will get you removed, or sending
an email back to them with "remove" in the subject, dont do it.
Doing so will send a "hey you hit a real email address, and I read mine"
message back to the spammer, and you will be sold to an even more
aggressive group of spammers, who pay MORE$$$ for non-cold
addresses.

There are also others, but these are the biggies.

Jarrid Gross