Re: [Re: Rover V-8 and Ford V-8]

To: sosnaenergyconsulting@home.com, Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Subject: Re: [Re: Rover V-8 and Ford V-8]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 2 Aug 2001 20:47:53 EDT
One reason you never hear about them was that they were sooooo bad.  Many of
them were replaced under warranty with cast iron blocks.  The Chrysler engine
did win races, but other then that, they all had corrosion problems.  This was
due mainly to the fact that many, many people back in that era used only water
in the engine during the summer. They also pulled their spark plugs from a
warm or hot engine.... usually taking the threads out with the plugs.

Jan Eyerman

sosnaenergyconsulting@home.com wrote:
I hadn't known that there were ANY american built aluminum in-line
sixes. Thanks for expanding my horizons.

Regards

David Sosna

Jan Eyerman wrote:

>  There were also a number of aluminum in line sixes- AMC/Rambler had one of
> about 232 Cubic inches and the Chrysler "slant six" was also available in
225
> cubic inches in aluminum. The Chrysler was available with a four barrel and
> all sorts of high performance goodies in the Dodge Lancer (what the Dart
was
> initially called) and dominated "compact car" racing in the 1961-62 era.
>
> Jan Eyerman
> 1959 Hillman Minx Series III DeLuxe
> 1973 Hillman Avenger DL
> (ex Board of Directors member of the Society of Automotive Historians)
>
> sosnaenergyconsulting@home.com wrote:
> Hi, Cole:
> Congrats!  The rover has that nifty aluminum V-8, doesn't it?  I do wish
> there had been some way to shoehorn it into a sunbeam.
> Sorry, I don't know a source for parts, but I just thought I'd offer my
> congratulations anyway.
> Is the Mercedes 2.8 going into a Mercedes, or something else?
>
> Regards
>
> David Sosna
>
> Harvey, Cole E wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Boy oh boy, it has been a busy past few days.  I got a new toy, a 1969
> Rover
> > 3500S.  The car is rust free and is the first car I have ever bought with
> > shiny paint (British racing green).  And last night I picked up a
Mercedes