Tank Boiling Sealing

To: "[unknown]" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tank Boiling Sealing
From: Tom Yang <TYang@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 00:11:34 -0400
Hi Chris,

I guess the only way to keep rust from returning is to make sure the tanks
are down to bare metal if you're going to paint them with spray paint. Use
a good primer, and paint. When I restored a gas tank from another car, I
used a satin finish POR-15 to cover the rust that would not come off with
light sanding. After that step, I painted it with regular paint. POR-15
hardens to a super hard finish, and is almost impossible to take off.
Hopefully it will outlast me!

The inside of the tank was coated with the red stuff. I heard somewhere the
cream colored stuff that was popular for coating gastanks a few years ago
was not compatable with alcohol found in some fuels today. I don't think
anybody uses this stuff anymore.

Tom

Message text written by Chris Mottram
>To follow up on the recent tank thread,
The PO "gooped" the inside of the tanks on my car but
it was starting to come off in hunks and looked like
there was surface rust under the goop.  I had the
tanks boiled out and sealed by the local radiator shop
for $90.  Some of the white goop did not come out.
They used some red sticky stuff inside to seal the
tanks and some "tar" on the outside.  Well the bozos
didn't do something right and I could see surface rust
coming through the tar.  I just finished cleaning off
the tar with gas and cleaning off the rust with
Oxysolv (phosphoric acid).  I hope the inside is
better than the outside.  I am going to prime and
paint htem tomorrow with some spray bombs.  Any
recommendations on the paint?

Chris<