Re: ['53 Alpine transmission]

To: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>, antaut@aol.com
Subject: Re: ['53 Alpine transmission]
From: Bob Hamilton <hamilton@accesswave.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 22:54:41 -0300
Jan,

         Actually 1st is DOWN and up for first, straight down for 2nd, UP
(at the neutral position) and UP for third and straight down for 4th. There
are adjustments at the transmission cover levers which I will look up and
copy to this guy.

Regards,
Bob

At 12:19 PM 7/13/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Check the linkage to make sure he is "all the way into 1st gear" at the
>transmission when he puts the lever in first.  Since first is "up and into the
>windscreen" on those cars, the lever may be hitting something before it gets
>the trans fully into gear.
>
>Jan Eyerman
>

>"Ian Spencer" <SpenceIC@healthall.com> wrote:
>Please respond to Dave directly. He's not on the list. - Ian
>
>We have a customer with a 1953 Alpine with a 4 speed column shift
>gearbox that is "jumping" out of 1st gear when he decelerates. The
>gearbox was purchased as a rebuilt unit from England. We have very
>little experience with this type of unit and would appreciate any
>advise you could give us. thanks in advance Dave antaut@aol.com  <A
>HREF="http://www.antiqueautoshop.com/";>Classic Antique Car
>Restoration - The Antique Auto Shop</A>

Robert (Bob) A.C. Hamilton, Waverley, Nova Scotia, Canada
The Man of Many Sunbeams - Alpine, Drophead and Saloon 1953-1954
[Stable mates - 1973 Midget and 1968 M-B 280SE]
Home Page: www.accesswave.ca/~hamilton
BATANS Home Page: www.batans.ca
E-Mail: hamilton@accesswave.ca