Re: Fw: Camshaft

To: dgb <dbilesky@home.com>
Subject: Re: Fw: Camshaft
From: "jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 21:15:16 -0700
dgb wrote:

> The groove in one of my CAM lobes turned out to be the fuel pump lobe and
> according to the 'cam grinder' not an issue.  He said the arm of the fuel pump
> must be loose and prone to leaning to one side.  He also said the depth of the
> groove probably has no effect on the pumping action.

Doug,
        The lob will just get worse and I have seen many cams with that damage.
The lob needs to be welded and reground with the other lobs and that's
what cost. The cam that I have, had the same wear grooves and needed to
be welded too. The cost that I mentioned ($200), was the cost that I
paid Elgin Cam (Redwood City CA) to weld, regrind the lobs and reface
the lifters. It looks like they applied a dry lub to everything as well.
I would say that about 1 out of about 5 cams (Used) is good and doesn't
have the fuel lob damage.
Jan
____/ /_____/ /_/    \_\http://mall.turnpike.net/~servaijm