Re: Head Games

To: ellis838@concentric.net, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Head Games
From: MrZAG57@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 20:29:12 EDT
In a message dated 7/5/2001 4:52:04 PM, ellis838@concentric.net writes:

<<  Gave the head on my new engine the Vizard treatment. It is not difficult,
you can do it with a hand drill and the aluminum is soft so a cheap cutter
will last, you just have to
keep picking the clogs out of it which takes more time than the job. I used a
porting kit from Summit to polish after the rough cuts were done and cc'd the
combustion chambers
with a big syringe and piece of Plexiglas. Vaseline to seal it and rubbing
alcohol as the liquid. I have noticed the timing can be advanced further on
this engine with no pinging
and it pulls well. Not sure if the no pinging is due to the porting and
better combustion chamber or less compression with the bigger combustion
chamber, then the cam grind could
have something to do with it also. Would be interesting to try it in a before
and after situation to see how noticeable just that modification would
be...Jim

Several questions:

1). What is the CC capacity of your chambers now?
2). Did you create a template to match things with?
3). Did you change your valve sizes?
4). What cam are you using?
5). Did you port and polish the intake and exhaust runners?
6). Which carburetors are you using?
7). Did you modify the cylinder block deck height?
8). Did you mill the head, and how many .000s if so?
9). Does the engine have less pulling power from idle?
10). Have you calculated a mean compression ratio?

Thank you for your consideration.

ZAG