RE: Cam Shafts

To: Steve Graham <sjgraham@bigpond.com>, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Cam Shafts
From: Jarrid Gross <JGross@econolite.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 10:23:31 -0700
Steve wrote,

>Hi All,
>
>I have been luckly enough to obtain a large range of Hillman/Rootes parts
from
>a chap who is moving house and retiring. Among the two van load of parts
that
>I have yet to sought out are about a dozen cam shafts (some new) for both
1600
>and 1725 engines. He told me to take no notice of the origional rootes
tubes
>they are in as they have been moved around over the years. My problem is
how
>to tell the difference between steel head cams and alloy head cams, I know
the
>difference with the oil pump cog between the 1600 and 1725 but not the head
>differences.

Identification of the cam shuould start off by sorting by casting number.
You will discover then that groups of part numbers have different number
of teeth for the pump drive.  I forget which is which, but some have 12
teeth,
and others have 13 teeth.  This is the difference between 3 and 5 main cams.

Iron head engines have a different valve pattern than do the alloy head
engines, so you "should" be able to differentiate these cams by looking
at the positions of adjacent lobes.  Ive never seen an iron head cam,
or head, so I wouldnt know off the top of my head, but could as I'm sure
you will by comparison to a cam that I know is for an alloy head.

Having a parts book for various rootes lines would of course fully clarify
the problem with part numbers alone.

Jarrid Gross