IGNITOR Questions wasGeneral Ignorance and Lack of Knowledge

To: "Christopher Albers" <Christopher.Albers@bubbs.biola.edu>
Subject: IGNITOR Questions wasGeneral Ignorance and Lack of Knowledge
From: "Ed Esslinger" <eee1@snowhill.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:11:57 -0000
Thanks Chris - The LU142A can not be adjusted with the distributor mounted
in the correct position as the vacuum unit will hit the block before you can
retard it far enough. And that's what I'm on about.
Some cars, a Series 3 for one had a rigid vacuum line that will only connect
from the front.
  My point is, if you are going to put a kit in, you should not have to turn
the distributor 180 deg. to make it work.
  The LU142A has it's good point the mounting of the adapter is better than
the one screw LU142 mounting. The bad points of the LU142A are; if you want
to change back to points in case of an emergency, you will really have a
good time re- timing; as the LU142A is advanced about 30 Deg. over the
points set up. You will also need a nut driver of the proper size to remove
it. There is also the question of  rotor position in relationship to the
distributor terminals. I will let someone else address that point.
Using the original LU142 you can remove it and reinstall your points without
re-timing. using only a screw driver.
Cool Cat Eddie ,1 S3 GT,3 S4's, 2 S5's, 2 MK1 Tigers
Deep South Rep TE/AE