Re: [Re: Alpines for Touring]

To: "Barbara Blue" <the_blues@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: [Re: Alpines for Touring]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 24 Feb 2001 12:26:28 EST
A recent issue of Practical Classics called the Rootes 1390-1725 one of the
most reliable engines ever produced in Britain.  After owning a 100+ Rootes
cars, I agree with that 100%.  The problem is NOT the engine.  the problem is
all of the ancillaries.  But these can be changed.... all of the Lucas stuff
except the starter can be replaced by more reliable units.  Replacing the
starter every 35,000 miles or so with a rebuilt one will solve that.  I am a
fan of Stromberg Carbs-just either replace the diaphrams periodically or carry
spares (this always one in my tool box!).

An O/D transmission will solve the high speed cruising issue.

The only thing that seems to be a problem on the Rootes engine is the water
pump and fan.... fans have been throwing blades of late because of rust/age.
Find a plastic replacement.

Jan

"Barbara Blue" <the_blues@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
Thanks to all for input
The car has not been restored, but it will be.  Some cosmetic body
work has been done, I am afraid of what I'll find when I
go under the primer.  When I bought the car it ran, but the braking system
was in terrible shape and not safe to drive, so it was trailored home.  As a
result, I really know very little about the condition of the car.

I know the Alpine is pretty dependable, its just that while I am going to
the work and expense, I want to produce the best vehicle for what we want.
I figure for the price of an overhaul (which it probably needs), I can get a
junkyard low mileage Ford 2.3 and tranny.  I have a decent shop and am
pretty sure I can install it, so engine swaps are a viable option.  I am
partial to the Rootes engine, parts availability is the only reason I have
doubts.

As a Boss I used to have would say "What to do, what to do, what to do."

Bill