Re: [Re: [Re: Lucas]]

To: "alpines@autox.team.net" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Re: [Re: Lucas]]
From: Victor Hughes <v.hughes@student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:19:16 +1100
Also poor UK Government policies (eg forcing Rootes to build a new plant for
the Imp) and management insularity resulting in poor decisions.    Can't
entirely agree with 'inability' to keep up with world designs, there was a
degree of unwillingness as well.  If you look at small to medium cars worldwide
today you would find that they follow the 1960's Austin-Morris Mini/1100/1800
formula.  Trouble was Austin-Morris abandoned it in the 1970's and reverted to
'conventional' designs.

Lucas was just one of the quality issues, and quality was an issue in the 60's
as well.  The Japanese learned how to make similar sized cars that were more
reliable and better equipped.

Vic Hughes