RE: Polished Rocker fingers

To: Steven Silverstein <milano164@mediaone.net>,
Subject: RE: Polished Rocker fingers
From: Jarrid Gross <JGross@econolite.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 08:53:10 -0800
Steven,

>From my own work and seeing what was done on your polished rockers
I can say that the areas that were lightened make nearly no difference
in the inertia of the valvetrain.
I can see that the meat under the rocker has been ground away as well as
small amounts of metal at other regions of the rocker.
The bulk of the mass reduction is in the least desirable place, that is
that the mass was nearest the pivot point of the rocker.
This really wont enhance higher RPM opperation, the effect is negligable.
The work involved in "lightening" the rockers is definately NOT worth
the trouble.

So if the mass reduction is essentially useless, the only other functional
reasons for the polishing relates to stress relief, and making the oil
come off easier.

Thanx to all who responded to my rocker inquiry.

Steven you can titanium retainers that can be modified to fit your engine.
This is definately a significant reduction in mass.
Other worthwhile valvetrain mass reductions were...
1) Bigger yet lighter Z-car valves.
2) Crane cams springs (higher rate and preload, yet lighter too).

Jarrid Gross