Polished Rocker fingers

To: Sunbeam <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Polished Rocker fingers
From: Steven Silverstein <milano164@mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 05:36:02 -0500
I am finally back from classes.

Below is a close up photo polished rockers and there is a substantial amount
of material removed.  These wereon the car when I bought it.  Actually, I
should say, "with the car".I haven't measured the weight differences between
a regular rocker and one of the polished rockers but If I can find the extra
loose polished one I will and post the results.

I also have Isky pushrods, shortened lifters, and aluminum retainers which
in combination must make a significant difference in overall moving valve
train weight.  Ironically, they (when it was raced in the 60's) limited the
car to 6000/6300 rpm.

The machine shop that I have worked with really recommends against the
aluminum retainers.  The other option is to cut off the lower portion of the
retainer where the "O-ring" seal is located.  Then use Perfect Circle seals.
I have found a few of this style retainer, too.   I will have to weight the
differences between aluminum, steel cut down, and stock.  I don't know how
much difference this all makes unless you are running higher rpms.

I guess the devil is in the details.  I am sure it all added up to increase
longevity (stress relief of the rockers) and did remove some valve train
weight.

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/racing/Web%20pages%20for%20Sports%20Car%20Forum
/Engine%20Rockers.html

Steven Silverstein