Gearshift boot (gaitor)

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Gearshift boot (gaitor)
From: "Paul Heuer" <p_heuer@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 10:11:40 +1030
Hi all,
Does anyone have a gearshift boot on the shelf that they can measure for me?

I bought a repro shifter boot from a local guy here in Australia because I
needed it urgently, however it is bigger than the old one and seems too big
to fit the hole in the trans tunnel. The vendor insists it fits all Alpines
and Rapiers, and the new part is the same profile as the old one -  it sure
looks correct.

The hole in my trans tunnel is 71.5mm (2-13/16") in diameter.
The inner diameter of the 'grommet' part of the new gearshift boot is 78mm
(3-1/16").

Is it just a *very* tight fit that needs persuasion? I have the carpets out
and the trans tunnel cover removed from the car. The car is a S3.
Cheers,
Paul.