Re: Pistons and con rods

To: ejmw7762@netscape.net
Subject: Re: Pistons and con rods
From: "jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 11:17:24 -0800
Eric,
        If you have a series II engine, it should be the 1600 cc engine. The
1495 cc engine was only in the series I, and was not as strong as the
later design. I am currently rebuilding a 1600 cc for a customer and ALL
the top rings were broken and all the rod bearings spun (oil starved).
My recommendation is to bore it and grind the crank undersize and keep
it stock. My machine shop even went as far to shot peened the rods and
crankshaft and I was very happy with their quality of work. If you go
the alternate con rod approach, it will take much longer to get the
engine together. Remember, there is a lot of custom machining to be done
to include widening the bottom con rod ends, (to get correct side
clearance), grinding the rod journals and balancing the complete engine.
Consider finding a 1725cc engine and put the money in that engine.
Jan

--