Re: Alternator Question

To: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Subject: Re: Alternator Question
From: js <frodo4@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 11:14:16 -0700
The ammeters are pretty innacurate. Also is it wired in the correct
place? Does it ever show a discharge (turn on the headlights with the
engine off). I ask this because you say it is zero at idle. I have seen
people wire these so that they show output from the alternator, not flow
into and out of the battery.

In reality you do need to wire up a digital voltmeter to really know
what is giong on.

An automotive charging system should put out about 13.8 to 14.4 volts.
The amount of current taken by the battery depends on the actual
charging voltage, the temperature, and the condition of the battery. (so
a bad voltage reg affects volts which does affect amps).

There is no "correct" current value that implies that everything is OK,
although 20 is a bit high (if the ammeter is working OK)

John