Re: Stiff Shifting; Rear Gear box seal; Weird shift fork tunnel

To: v.hughes@student.canberra.edu.au (Victor Hughes)
Subject: Re: Stiff Shifting; Rear Gear box seal; Weird shift fork tunnel
From: rnanzig@webtv.net (robert nanzig)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 19:30:31 -0400 (EDT)
Pulling the seal was (in my case) a lot easier said than done. With the
trans out of the S3 I took it to a trans expert who had the right sort
of puller. It took considerable force and ended up breaking the seal but
fortunately did not damage the housing. I guess after 37 years it was
kind of used to being where it was.....
Vic Hughes
Jarrid Gross wrote:
Pull the seal, replace, jack it back up, bolt it and your done.
Jarrid

   I agree, much easier said than done.  I spent an hour at the
workbench carefully prying and tearing it out, broken piece after broken
piece being sure not to damage the housing.  Of course someone with a
true talent for these things may be able to do it from under the car.

Rob Nanzig
67SV