Re: [6pack] Front spring removal

To: Bob Danielson <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Front spring removal
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 15:22:33 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Bob Danielson wrote:

> Derek,
> You need a spring compressor to get the front ones out. Some guys have made
> their own but, as I understand it, it isn't your "run of the mill" threaded
> rod. Here's the one that Moss sells.

[stuff deleted]

You do not need to use anything special as far as the rod goes. YOU
should, however, make sure the threads are lubed so your don't work-harden
the threads over time. However, most folks probably do this job two or
four times (once or twice per side) and properly lubed, you won't have any
problems with the threaded rod.

At the top of the rod, you can use two nuts locked together and a pair of
vice-grips to stabilze things while you tighten loosen the lower nuts...

But this is an easy do it yourself tool. I have at least three. Not sure
why other than I probably borrowed one years ago and never returned it ot
something. I've more than made up for that by doing front end repairs on
others' cars over the years. :-)

rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489