Re: [6pack] TR6 oil gallery leak

To: "PeterSchop@aol.com" <PeterSchop@aol.com>, "6pack@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [6pack] TR6 oil gallery leak
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:07:01 -0700
        Peter:

        If this is the part I am thinking of, it is a simple piece of aluminum
rod that is pressed into the block to plug a hole left over from machining one
of the main oil galleries (at least, I think that is why it is there). You
must drill it out, or heliarc something to it to pull it out. I suppose you
could drill a hole in it, and then twist in some sort of large sheet metal
screw, and then pry it out.
        I would be inclined to tap it for 1/2" or 5/8" NPT thread and run a
pipe plug in there. They don't leak, and removing them is cake if/when you
want to clean the oil galleries.
        Unfortunately they are very difficult to work on with the engine in
the car, so you will want to stick with something proven and probably do it
when the engine is out. Using a pipe plug would be safest, IMHO. At least you
could replace it easily when the motor is in the car.

        Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom
    I think, therefore I go fast