Re: [6pack] New Engine AUTOpsy Part II

To: Kendall Larsen <mailkendall@sbcglobal.net>, 6pack List
Subject: Re: [6pack] New Engine AUTOpsy Part II
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 09:12:24 -0700
        Continued from previous message.

        You have damage in other bearings, not just the #1 crank throw.
However given the chunks laying in the pan it is possible that the damage to
the main bearing and the cam bearing are collateral. Clearly the crank throw
is toast - it looks unrepairable to me unless you are willing to spend big $$.
Better to source another crank. You will also need to install cam bearings as
the journal for the cam in the block is almost certainly damaged as well.
        Given the severe damage to the #1 crank throw - I will say that there
was a bearing clearance problem on that journal - it was too tight. This can
be due to a wrong size bearing or mis-sized journal. It is also possible to
install the wrong bearing cap on the rod, or install the cap backwards, which
will also cause damage.
        If the machinist assembled the bottom end, I would say it is his
responsibility. The bearing clearances are supposed to be checked, and when
the bottom end is assembled the machinist should have spun the crank to make
sure it moved freely. Trust me, if install a bearing cap incorrectly or there
is a tolerance problem, you CANNOT move the crank by hand. Ask me how I know.

        Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom
    I think, therefore I go fast