Re: [6pack] New Engine AUTOpsy

To: Kendall Larsen <mailkendall@sbcglobal.net>, 6pack List
Subject: Re: [6pack] New Engine AUTOpsy
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 09:10:23 -0700
        Kendall:

        I will assume for a moment that there was oil in the engine, and that
the oil pressure was good. What are the possible causes?

        1. A defect in the bearing or the crank finish for that journal. This
can be created during assembly, as well as being part of the machining or
manufacturing process.
        2. Lack of assembly lube in that journal for startup - although if the
engine is primed before startup it should not matter too much.
        3. Incorrect bearing tolerance. This can be due to an error during
machining, *OR* installing the wrong rod cap or INSTALLING IT BACKWARDS.
        4. Contamination of the oil. If this were the case, I would expect all
of the bearings to show some damage, not just #1.

        CONTINUED IN NEXT MESSAGE TO AVOID HITTING THE TEXT LIMIT

        Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom
    I think, therefore I go fast