Re: [6pack] Avgas

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>, Rick Norris
Subject: Re: [6pack] Avgas
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 16:27:28 -0600
>===== Original Message From Rick Norris <rnorris1@swbell.net> =====
>Vance, 100 octane low lead aviation gasoline at $4.75+  would indeed be
>less expensive that racing fuel at 7 bucks a gallon. However, gaining
>access to the pumps on a secure ramp area at the local airport might be
>problematic. Our non-towered airport has the gates locked except for
>aircraft owners, so having a buddy that owns an airplane might be
>beneficial. Other than an airport, I don't know where one might be able
>to obtain it.

It's really easy actually, without even going to an airport. Find a local Fuel
Depot. Where the trucks that service your local stations fill up. When we had
MTBE as the winter oxygenator they would pump it straight into your fuel tank
during the non-oxygenate required months which were May thru October. During
the winter months they would only pump it into certified fuel continers
(standard gas cans) and didn't care waht you did with it. Now that we are
'blessed' with 10% ethanol year round, I doubt they would pump straight into
the tank anymore. Actually, I haven't even tried since 9/11 so I don't know if
they are required to have higher security or not. I might give it a shot soon
and let you all know what I find out.

Oh, and if your worried about the taxes, they charge those at the depot as
well. Just not the mark up for the local corner gas.

Shawn J. Loseke
Fort Collins, CO
http://www.triumphowners.com/79   (1972 TR6)
http://www.triumphowners.com/690  (1978 TR8)