[6pack] Steering

To: auto tox <triumphs@autox.team.net>, TR6 <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Steering
From: <johnehorton@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:09:35 -0700 (PDT)
My 76TR6 developed a sloppy steering due to failure of the rubber mounts.  I
was turning about 1/4 turn before and change in direction.

I built a set of aluminum blocks to hard mount the rack. The first test showed
the looseness ans GONE.  No slop in the wheel.  They way the standard steering
is setup there is a slight looseness built in by using the rubber mounts.

I much prefer the hard mounting as I get complete road feel.  I am going to
redesign the mounts again by making the 1.065 dia hole completely round and
expanding it  accommodate a small neoprene sleeve.  Instead of the "U" bolt I
will use socket head cap screws.

John H.   76TR6  79TR7  81TR8