Re: [6pack] Popping out of 3rd on decel

To: Dennis N Culligan <dncullig@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Popping out of 3rd on decel
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:05:10 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

popping out of gear means somethings out of spec. I'd look at the detent
springs in the synchro hub (although the car would probably pop out of 4th
too) and then the clearances in the 'box starting with the layshaft thrust
washers. Last, I'd check the 2nd/3rd clearances.

But the first first step would be to drain the fluid and see what's up.
Stuff in the fluid will always tell you what's up:

goldish metalflakes == BRASS/BRONZE which is the synchros or the mainshaft
bushings (early trannies only, aka before CF12500 (in theory... I've seen
post CF12500 cars with original gear boxes with brass mainshaft
bushings!))

silver-ish / grey metalflakes == STEEL (use a magnet). this is the
synchohubs and the "adjusting washers" for the 2nd/3rd end-float or
ALUMINUM which is the case (which can be real bad!).

rml
Consultant            MIT IS&T unix-linux-help |
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489