Re: [6pack] TR6 exhaust

To: patton@suscom-maine.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] TR6 exhaust
From: Jim Franks <jimmble@roadrunner.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 21:23:53 -0500
I'll agree with that, Rick. Thanks for sharing your testing results.

 A little backpressure on a NA exhaust is no bad thing in reality, and
the exhaust size of the dual system isn't bad at all for most power
levels seen here.

 One thing about turbo mufflers (as a guy who has tried several kinds on
a Merkur with 3" exhaust)  The thing about turbo mufflers is that they
have no / few baffles so as to give maximum flow. Why?  Turbo cars
already have a muffler right at the exhaust outlet.... the turbo! This
allows for minimal silencing in the muffler itself while still giving a
reasonably quiet exhaust.

With an NA car you either need a couple of bends in the pipes or a
better silencer to get the noise levels down. I personally probably
would not like the result of a free flowing exhaust coupled with a turbo
muffler on a street TR6. Keep in mind I like a fairly quiet car at
cruise. What is intolerable to me may be perfect for someone else's taste.

Jim

Rick wrote:
> I thought I'd stand up and say that the twin pipe system deserves more
> credit than it's detractors give it.

-snip-