Re: [6pack] oil leak fixes

To: Jim Berg <jberg@bepc.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] oil leak fixes
From: Mitch <ms6453@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 08:02:10 -0500
Hey Jim,

The sealing block was a continuing source of frustration for me as well.
There is an early & late version of the block, both fit but the later is
slightly redesigned & reinforced (not much improved). There are a few
reasons for leaks in this area. The aluminum material used was very soft
and has a total of 7 bolts going through it. It is torque in two
directions, sealing the timing cover, oil pan & block. There are 3 bolts
in the front for the timing cover that are short. Very often the two
outer bolts are  accidentally replaced with longer bolts , when you
tighten these down they end up hitting the two sealing block mounting
bolts (the ones going up in to the block) & stripping. These two are
critical in length This is the case for all of the bolts that screw
directly in to the sealing block itself. The aluminum is soft  and
strips easily. In addition the voids on either side of the block are
sealed with WOOD wedges.

After lots of back time under the car repeating the repair I finally
used a thread repair called Keenserts
http://www.ondrives.com/products.asp?recnumber=437 . Between these, the
proper bolts, Hylomer sealant and careful reassembly I have not seen a
drip in 4 years from this spot.

If you have a bentley manual , page 133 shows the part & assembly. If
you need more info let me know.

--
Mitch Seff
Oceanside, N.Y.