Re: [6pack] 3rd Gear Grind

To: shannm2@triad.rr.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] 3rd Gear Grind
From: TRIUMPH6PK@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:57:26 EST
Shannon,
    I rebuilt my own transmission several years ago  with no grinding issues
like you're experiencing. You may want to check with  your rebuilder to see if
he took the time to hand lap the new synchronizers into  their mating cups,
this process takes time but helps with the break-in period.  Also I found that
the detent ball bearings and springs were worn and weak  thus not giving
enough resistance  and pressure against the cone  and syncro to stop the gear
from
turning so you can complete the shift. It's  possible that both the synchro
hub and sleeve assemblies need to be replaced (  part numbers 509649 and
515650). These are generally not part of a normal  rebuild.

Good luck
Doug
71 TR6 Damson