[6pack] 3rd Gear Grind

To: "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] 3rd Gear Grind
From: "Shannon Muncy" <shannm2@triad.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 21:15:55 -0500
Listers,

I've had a strange issue that has been bugging me for months.

History:  About a year ago I purchased a remanufactured gearbox and J-type
(preassembled) from a highly respected rebuilder that ships all over the
nation.  When I installed the gearbox, I put in 30w non-detergent oil in the
box as suggested and started driving the car.  Almost immediately, the gearbox
started to slip out of all gears during deceleration and grinding between
gears; especially the 3 -> 2 downshift and the 2 -> 3 upshift (but only when
done quickly).  I called the rebuilder, he said that the grind is normal and
to allow time for the sycros to break in.  However he didn't have a clue about
it slipping out of gear; he said to ship it back, no questions asked.  Now the
strange part:  He couldn't find anything wrong..nothing, nada, zilch.  But
just to be sure he shipped me another rebuilt gearbox, complete with J-type
overdrive.

I got the "new" gearbox in (it had a different serial number) and it does the
exact same thing; slipping out of every gear AND grinding, this with a new
clutch/pressure plate and new HVDA hydraulic throw out bearing.  Desperate, I
drain the 30w oil and put in regular old 85w90 gear oil and just like magic
the gearbox stops slipping out of gear, but the grinding remains.  Now as I
drive the car, it does seem to be grinding significantly less on the 3 -> 2
downshifts than it did before, but the 2 -> 3 upshift grinds remain as bad as
they ever were.  About 50% of the time any shift faster than a leisurely gear
change from 2nd to 3rd results in a grind.

I really don't know what to do about this, so any advice you guys have to give
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-shannon