Re: [6pack] Proper grounding

To: Darcy_Hunter@Instron.com (Hunter, Darcy)
Subject: Re: [6pack] Proper grounding
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 13:18:52 -0800
Darcy and Dave---For one thing the braided cable is difficult to keep
clean, with grime and electrolisis setting in, so many of us didn't
replace them with the same woven brass. Instead, the plastic coated ones
with the dual metal straps were used. One strap is connected to the
original bolt on the firewall, which gives a body ground,,and the other
strap to the engine backplate/bellhousing.  By osmosis they all get
together, but with rubber mounts and paint in the path, sometimes the
(engine) ground isn't as good as it should be.
This "loss" can show up more readily on those cars that have a
voltmeter, and is evident when the VM doesn't show full charge when
accessories are on (and the engine is at road speed).

If you've upgraded your alternator, it can show full charge even at idle
speed, with accessories on.

The fix can be either using the original style braided cable with a
three point connection, or making a secondary ground path from somewhere
on the engine to a good body contact, like the firewall bolt.

Dick