[6pack] mounting engine on engine stand

To: "'6pack List'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] mounting engine on engine stand
From: "Andrew Packard" <apackard68@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 22:39:08 -0800
Hello all:

With the engine out, still attached to the hoist and resting on the ground,
I want to attach it to my engine stand.  I found someone's really good
process in which the 4 arms and the engine stand plate are attached to the
block first while still suspended in the air, then the stand is lifted up to
slide onto the rotating point of the plate.  The engine and stand are then
lowered to the ground as a single unit.

Where are the recommended connecting points?  All the threaded holes
available are for 5/16" bolts.  I don't feel safe holding the block in place
this way unless someone else can reassure me this is okay from their own
personnel experience.  My next option would be to put the rear engine plate
back on and use four bellhousing holes to connect to the stand while the
plate is attached to the block in about six places, I believe.  I'm leaning
towards this solution.  I would prefer having attachment points that can use
3/8" bolts or larger, but that doesn't seem to be a possibility.  I suppose
I could have a engine stand mounting back plate made from similar size steel
as the back plate and have 3/8" or larger holes drilled in the plate for
mounting on the stand.  I don't have an old existing back plate, but I guess
I could also butcher one of those with my larger holes as a third option.

As usual, thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Andy

CD6746L HVDA